What are the benefits of ELDs?
April 26th, 2017
Here’s how trucking companies and their drivers can benefit from using ELDs.
Benefits for the trucking company:
- Better CSA scores – Because ELDs can help drivers prevent HOS violations (among other violations) they get better CSA scores.
- Get more business opportunities and clients – Some clients look into a trucking company’s CSA score before they decide to work with them. The assumption is, if the company has a good CSA score, then that means they are employing good business practices and their drivers have good driving habits.
- In short, they are painless to work with.
- Reduced fuel costs – Fleet managers can help drivers find the quickest, fastest, and safest route that will take them to their destination. It results in lesser fuel costs and a higher level of productivity.
- Improved fleet management – ELDs have several features that can help dispatchers oversee the entire fleet. They can track a vehicle’s location in real-time, message the drivers directly through the logbook apps, and generate reports effortlessly.
- Better insurance premiums – Because the ELD mandate will increase the safety of your fleet, you’ll have lesser insurance premiums since your fleet isn’t high risk (comparatively speaking).
- It’s easier to recruit new drivers – When a trucking company has a good CSA score and a reputation of having very few road accidents, it tells truck drivers that the company is a good prospect to work with.
Benefits for the drivers:
These are just some of the benefits of using ELDs. Depending on which ELD provider you’ll get your device from, you can enjoy several other functionalities that your fleet managers and drivers can use.